Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fall Break Part 2: Barcelona & Patriots Game in London


Hola!

After our fantastic time in Italy, we left for Barcelona, Spain! I had never really considered visiting Spain while abroad, but my friends here really wanted to go, and it turns out it is a very popular destination for people studying abroad! Many people in my program ended up traveling there, and almost every abroad person I know is making the trip. Well, I can definitely see why!

Barcelona was AWESOME. We got there pretty late on Tuesday night, so we checked into our hostel (which we loved!) and then went out for some traditional Spanish tapas and sangria. I have to say...with fear of some backlash...that I preferred Spanish food to Italian food. Not going to lie! I loved it. I like the Spanish culture when it comes to food and socializing. They go to dinner very, very late. We thought we were eating late even at 9pm, but they were just getting started. Tapas are also fun because you get small portions of a variety of dishes, so you get to try everything. Sangria is also my new favorite...I have requested a sangria date with my Mom when I finally turn 21 in January :)


Emily, me, and our sangria

We were feeling kind of tired during this point in our trip, so we decided to spend our first day at Playa de la Barceloneta, a man-made, yet beautiful beach! It was so nice to just sit and relax for an afternoon and enjoy the sunshine that we have missed! The only downside to this tourist-y beach is that people walk up and down trying to sell you all sorts of things- cerveza(beer), towels, massages, you name it. It was great, nonetheless. After we soaked up some rays, we packed up and walked down Las Ramblas. It is the most famous street in Barcelona, and is packed with vendors, art, and restaurants. And the most exciting thing we have come across since leaving the states... A Dunkin Donuts!! I think we all froze in our tracks when we saw that, and then ran in and ordered large iced coffees all around.



We found a Dunkin!

At the beach with Melissa!


Such a beautiful day

 The next day, we didn't luck out quite as well with the weather, but it was alright! We headed to the Sagrada Familia, a really cool Spanish gothic cathedral. I have seen my share of cathedrals since I have been abroad, but this one was so different and unique looking. It was so interesting! After that, we went to Park Guell which was one of the prettiest parks I have ever seen! It was a little overcast when we went, but the architecture and mosaics used to create it were so beautiful and colorful, I felt like I was in a display at Disney. We climbed a long while and got a fantastic view of Barcelona! I loved this part of our trip!

Overlooking the city

The four of us at Park Guell!

Melissa and me in the park



La Sagrada Familia




That night, after enjoying some more delicious tapas and paella, we went to Icebarcelona! I have always wanted to go to an ice bar, and we decided to go check it out! It was the first ice bar built on a beach, and it was really neat! And they don't joke...it is freezing! They give you a drink and basically put you in a freezer for as long as you can stand it. We had the place to ourselves almost, as it was only 11pm, which is early to the locals! It was a great way to end our amazing trip together!
Icebarcelona!



Well our time in Spain came to end, my friends headed back to Bath, and I headed to London to meet Erin and Amanda for the Patriots game at Wembley Stadium!

Saturday, we went to the rally at Trafalgar Square, which was great because they brought out players such as Tom Brady, Gronkowski, and Welker, and interviewed them before the big game the next day. It was interesting to see what kind of fans were there. There were fans representing all teams, not just the Patriots or Rams. It was nice to be a Patriots fan though, and I can say that I have an even bigger crush on Gronkowski now. He "gronked" the microphone on stage...
That night we took part in a pub crawl in London which was a lot of fun because I hadn't been out in London at nighttime before!

Rally at Trafalgar Square

Me, Erin, Amanda out in London

Sunday, we got up and saw the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace! Something I hadn't seen yet, so I'm glad I got to do it with the girls. We then killed time in Harrod's which is a beyond amazing department store. We could have stayed there all day just ooing and awwing at all of the merchandise and decorations!
We headed to Wembley a little early to pregame outside of the stadium and mingle with some fans. We found our seats, made friends with some Brits seated behind us, and watched Train perform!! They were great, and it was such a nice surprise to see that they were the opening show! As you probably know, the Patriots won big time (45-7)! It was so cool to meet some British people and hear what they thought about the game. The guys behind us thought it was boring compared to their beloved soccer and rugby. They also started out as Rams fans (the home team) but then switched to Patriots fans as soon as they realized we were winning. It was pretty funny! I'm so glad I got to go, it was one of the best things I have experienced here!

Red, White, and Blue!




So, overall, I had THE best fall break!! It exceeded all of my expectations, and I am so grateful that I got to experience everything that I did. I am so lucky :) Hope you enjoyed reading about it!

Also... MY MOM AND DAD COME THIS WEEK so I couldn't be happier!! I'll write about our time together in my next post. Should be a blast, I have missed them so much!

Thanks again for reading!

Cheers! xoxo

Sara

1 comment:

  1. Sara, this sounded amazing!! I feel like it's been so long since you were here with me! I leave for Rome in two days, so I will be sure to take all of your advice! Tell your parents I say hi :)

    ReplyDelete