Thursday, September 6, 2012

Stonehenge, Salisbury, Lacock and...Classes?!

Hi again!

So this past weekend we took a study trip to Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Lacock. All destinations were only about 40 minutes away from my house, but it was still fun to go step out of Bath and see something new. Our first stop was at Stonehenge. All of my "tutors" said the same exact thing about the historic landmark: that you should not build it up in your mind before visiting it, or you will most likely be disappointed. As soon as we got to Stonehenge, I realized just what they meant.
The landmark is, in fact, a bunch of stones. However, what my tutor tried so desperately to explain was that, we must ask ourselves: Why were those stones put there in the first place? What language were the people speaking? How on earth did they move all of those heavy stones?
So, after taking all of that into consideration, I found it to be really cool! Im glad I got to see it and take some pictures.
The next two towns we visited were Lacock and Salisbury. These destinations were enticing to a lot of students because many Harry Potter scenes were actually filmed there! For those of you who are close to me, you know I am not an HP fan, at all. But, I did enjoy the scenery and especially the Salisbury Cathedral.

So, aside from the weekend traveling, classes started this week! I was actually excited to start classes because I was starting to feel that I was having a little too much fun, and almost forgot that I even had to take classes at all (ha ha)! Tuesday's I have a school placement at a local primary school. The children don't start until next week, but it was still nice to get to go to the school, meet my teacher and see my class. The school building is brand new and so nice! I'm anxious to get started there and to see the differences in their school systems versus our US school system. Aside from my school placement, I have 3 other courses in literature, political science, and history. All of our tutors are professors at Oxford, and they come to Bath once a week to teach their courses. The class size is only about 8-10 students which is really nice for discussion and personal attention. After just one week I can already say that I know I'm going to love my classes.

One thing I have come to realize while being here is that even though they speak English in the UK, I have found that it can still be difficult to communicate. I first realized this last week when I went to ask for a Band-Aid. I have never seen a more blank face upon a man when I said that word. I realized then that I had to better explain myself, and once I did, he replied, "ohh you mean a plaster". So, in the UK...
Band-Aid=Plaster
Bathroom= Loo or Toilet
Doctor's Office=The Surgery
Business Attire=Smart Attire
French Fries=Chips
"You're Welcome"="Alright"
....and those are just a FEW that I have come across so far. Pretty funny!

I have also learned that Americans definitely do have the reputation for being loud, and overly-friendly. All of the restaurants are small and are not meant to accommodate parties of 10, or even 6. All of the quantities in supermarkets and restaurants are a lot smaller, more expensive, and I have heard the phrase, "well everything is bigger in America, isn't it?" a number of times. I guess that is what we're known for??
I really didn't expect the culture in England to be much different from the US. But, I am pleasantly surprised that there are many sublte differences. I knew it was going to take some adjustment, but so far, so good!

Thanks for checking in! I will post again next week about my visit to London this coming weekend : )

Cheers!

Sara

Friends : )

Emily and me outside our house, overlooking the River Avon
 


Can't get enough of these!


1 comment:

  1. Yay Sara! It looks like you are having so much fun :) I can't wait to hear more about the school systems and how teaching is different there. All of your pictures are awesome. Keep having fun! Love you!

    -Jessie P.

    ReplyDelete