Tuesday, August 7, 2012

19 Days Away...

Hi Guys!

So I am writing this blog as a way to keep my family and friends updated with everything I will be doing over in ENGLAND! Hopefully I can stay up to date and entertain you with pictures and stories of my experiences while studying abroad : )

I can't believe that my semester abroad is almost here! When I was originally looking at schools back in high school, studying abroad was something I hadn't thought about much. For one, I thought I would be busy playing hockey. Of course, that didn't work out as I had planned. Even though I was heart broken about not making the team, the one silver lining in all of my disappointment was my new epiphany to spend a semester overseas.

Researching all of the different countries and programs should be an extremely overwhelming process. Well, for me, my options were slim. As a double major in Psych and Elementary Education, I knew I would have to take (real) classes that would count towards my major. Usually, students use their semester abroad to take classes such as: cooking, basic language, jewelry making, or even, yes, wine tasting. As fun as those classes sound, I knew that my semester abroad would have to be like any other semester at St. Mike's. The clear-cut choice was for me to study at Advanced Studies in England, in Bath: the one study abroad program that offers education classes and student teaching opportunites that SMC actually accepts!

I didn't know much about Bath, England, (1 1/2 hr train ride west of London) and to be honest, I wasn't sure if it excited me as much as the other locations my friends are jetting off to such as Florence, Sydney, and Capetown. BUT, the more I looked into it, the more I became so excited to get to study in Bath. For one, I get to student teach which I am really looking forward to. I will be able to rack up some student teaching hours, while getting to hang out and play with young British students every single Tuesday. I'm also not going to be anxiety-ridden at the thought of not being able to understand my peers or the people I will be around. Here's to studying in an English-speaking country : ) I am also especially excited now that London has received so much hype thanks to the Olympics. It seems that every time I turn on the TV this summer, there is a "London special" on. It has been a lot of fun to watch knowing that I will be landing in Heathrow in just 19 days! SO, I think that I made the right choice in choosing England for my semester abroad. I guess we will have to wait and see!

I'm wrapping up my last week of my internship on Friday, so then I will have a full 2 weeks to pack, and prepare for my 4 months away from home.

Until next time,

Sara Denton

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! I am so excited for this :) Great idea Sara. Can't believe you are leaving so soon, but it is so exciting! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures. Much love, Jessie P.

    ReplyDelete